Friday, July 18, 2008

Some Helpful Books


Below is a list of some books I’ve read on autism (when I’ve had the time!) that have educated me and have given me clarity, direction, understanding and hope. I hope they will benefit you as well.

Helping Children with Autism Learn – Bryna Siegel, Ph.D.
A Psychologist at the MIND INSTITUTE recommended this book to me. It’s very lengthy and a bit dry, but boy does it cover just about everything there is to know about autism and current treatments in great detail.

Facing Autism – Lynn M. Hamilton
A Mother’s journey to helping her son. Lots of detail on where to go and what to do. I related to a lot of her experiences.

Emergence – Labeled Autistic and Thinking in Pictures – Temple Grandin Ph.D.
Temple Grandin, Ph.D. is one of the most accomplished and well-known adults with autism in the world. She is known worldwide for her work on the design of livestock handling facilities. She has written a number of books about her life and how she sees the world. Check out www.FutureHorizons-autism.com for a complete listing of her books and other resources.

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew – Ellen Notbohm
The first book I read on autism. Great initial explanation of how your child views his world.

The Science and Fiction of Autism – Laura Schreibman
I have been so worried about whether or not I’m doing everything possible for my son. A report from the Interactive Autism Network states that there are over 300 treatments for kids on the spectrum. How do we make the right choices? This book wades through the sea of misinformation and conflicting reports in an effort to help you think critically and make informed choices of treatment for your loved one.

TalkAbility – Fern Sussman
People skills for verbal children on the autism spectrum – a guide for parents. Clearly written with lots of pictures and examples to guide you on how to teach your child to navigate the demands of everyday social life.

No comments: