Saturday, July 26, 2008

The New Normal

I find comfort in the idea that I’m living in a “new normal”. I went from thinking my life was pretty normal, to it being quite abnormal then finally realizing that my new normal is as normal as it’s going to get, get it?

I think I need an example. We went on a short family trip to Santa Cruz this past week. I envisioned my children enthralled with all the fun and excitement of the Boardwalk with its rides, food and attractions, not to mention the free Chinese Acrobat show we could view from the beach. Pretty normal, right? Well Alex wasn’t having any of it.


He loved watching the sky ride with the gondolas that slowly go round and round above our heads. That was it. We now know that there are 42 gondolas in an assortment of pastel colors and number 1 is orange. He talked about them over and over again, drew them at lunch and still wants his little sister to ride in number 1 even though we’re back in Lodi.



Sometimes I feel like we’ve been visited by an alien. He has come to live with us, learn our ways then depart to report back to the mother ship.

With two young children, one typically developing and one with autism, my husband and I transport back and forth from one world to the other, taking turns in our parallel universes.


I get into the most trouble when I try to force the old normal back into our lives. Life is still blessed and enjoyable in my new existence - in an odd sort of quirky kind of unconventional way.

1 comment:

kristenhen said...

This was very nice, Molly. Great pictures!